Before I begin this review, let me say, I am FULLY in favor of the judges choices for three of the finalists. While I love Char and hope only wonderful things for her future, I do not think she is in the same category as Amanda, Kini and Sean.
Those talented designers deserve their placement and although I did not choose them during my initial impressions, they have won me over and I look for amazing collections from all three.
With that said, there was more wrong with this season than there was right.
For me this season has been average at best. Far too often the judges and production have been inserted into the “cast” of the show. A heavy hand has been evident throughout.
While I think the problem for this season began with casting, unfortunately that failure led to bigger issues. While talented, for the most part, Project Runway has fallen into a predictable casting of people who fit the personality needed more than talent.
One of the great things about this show’s history, has been the ability to find young (and sometimes old) designers who deserved a break and cast those designers in a competition that was about talent. This year, it seemed like production was more interested in creating a drama filled show, than it was in finding an amazing designer.
Luckily for those of us who are fans, the finale will include amazing designers.
This season, Amanda came back with a vengeance. A better designer than when she left. While her designs were often a bit too quirky for my taste, that doesn’t change the fact that she has proven to be a great designer.
Amanda is a deserving finalist. My pick for her is second or third, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Amanda standing on the runway alone as the winner is announced.
For me, this season Amanda’s best looks were……
A couple of her less successful looks include…..
Char – I didn’t expect the judges to give Char a chance and I said that from the outset. Things changed when Tim Gunn saved her. Unfortunately, I think that save ended up keeping Char in the competition longer than it should have.
Char is a good designer, she isn’t as good as her three competitors. I hope that Char is able to catapult her success on PR into a career that allows her to continue to grow.
Char should land in 4th place.
Some of my favorite Char designs this season include…..
Less favorable looks include…..
Putting some of the most creative designs on the runway this season, Kini earned his place in the finale, he can easily win it all, but 2nd or 3rd is what I am hoping for.
Kini came into the show with a fall back on denim, he proved to be a stellar high fashion creative genius. I hope he will continue along this line.
One of the most creative looks all season was Kini’s black umbrella look, among my favorites for this designer.
Weaker designs include…..
Sean – For me, Sean has been the stand-out designer this season. When he landed in the bottom 3 earlier in the show, I made a comment that a great designer would take that as ammunition…. he did just that.
Sean should win, he is creative, daring and can have a great future. Project Runway has had only one winning designer who has made a huge impact on the fashion community, Christian Siriano; Sean Kelly can be the second.
All of the bad stuff from this season combined cannot come close to the good stuff, Sean has brought forward. Sean Kelly should win Project Runway 13.
Bad designs, not much to choose from here…..
Project Runway is one of my favorite reality shows. For many years I have found it to be entertaining and inspiring, this year I didn’t. This show has been must see, on time viewing for me, this year changed that. For parts of the season I went days without watching the newest show because of the mediocrity of production.
I have four ideas that will improve the season moving forward, I hope Lifetime and the Producers will take these into account.
- Fire Zac Posen. The condescending attitude and general inability to help the designers improve has made Mr. Posen ineffective as a judge. Mr. Posen carries neither the gravitas or passion of Michael Kors and if Mr. Kors has no desire to return, the show would do itself a favor and hire Christian Siriano in his place.
- Freshen up the challenges. Heidi says it week after week, one day you are in, the next day you are out. The same goes for the challenges, the tired pairs challenges, use of alternative materials, every woman etc etc need to be retired. Let these designers do what they do best…. DESIGN. Simplify the challenges and let the designers showcase their creativity, here are five ideas of future challenges….
- A favorite song – design an outfit inspired by the designers favorite song
- Print – use print in the design
- Choose a color – each designer must choose a color, their entire look must feature that one color only
- Birth year – create a look based on the year of the designer’s birth
- NO dresses. One week only, the designers should be required to design pants, shorts, gauchos, knickers, ANYTHING but dresses. This would showcase tailoring abilities and skills that great designers need.
- Throw away the casting manual. Choose 50 designers, ask each of them to provide 2 design looks with a sketch and finished product. Without names, faces, or locations, place those designs on the website for a vote. The top 14 designers move onto the show.
- The Tim Gunn Save, I love Tim and love the save…. however, it MUST be used a the time of the elimination. No more next day change of heart.
Project Runway has run its course for another year. Season 13 had a few great designers, lots of mediocrity, too much been there done that, too much concentration on drama and one REALLY lousy judge. I hope Season 14 shows much improvement.
Voting is open for a few more days for your favorite designer, make sure to get your vote in, on my post from Sunday, October 12th now!