“We’re very excited to have a wonderfully diverse group of very well-deserving scholarship recipients,” said IGLTA Foundation board member Gregg Kaminsky. “Our hope is that these scholarships help them to further develop the tools and relationships they’ll need to be successful in LGBT tourism.”
Scholarship recipients will have the opportunity to meet and network with other travel industry professionals from around the world, attend seminars and educational sessions, and see the sights of Madrid.
Meet this year’s Building Bridges Scholarship recipients:
- Student: Murilo Lima Araujo Costa is from São Paulo, Brazil where is he pursuing his passion for tourism at Anhembi Morumbi University.
- Student: Ryan Romero is a California native currently in his freshman year at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. He plans to become an event coordinator.
- Small Business: Marco Jaramillo is a journalist from Medellín, Colombia who is currently the CEO of EgoCity Magazine and Innova Brands. For the past two years, he has worked toward LGBT equality in Colombia.
- Small Business: Janice Tjon Sien Kie co-founded the Curacao Gayplasa Foundation, which promotes acceptance of the island’s LGBT community; she is planning the launch of her own company, Umasma Destination Management, to cater to global lesbian travelers.
- Destination: Robert Washington is the co-chair of the Africa Travel Association’s Youth Advisory Committee. He is also the co-founder of the African Birthright Program, USA, which sponsors first-time educational trips to Africa for diaspora youth. He is based in New York.
For more information on the IGLTA Annual Global Convention, please visit www.igltaconvention.org. For more information on the scholarship recipients, please contact email@example.com.About Us:
The IGLTA Foundation is the philanthropic organization of the International Gay & Lesbian Travel Association. Our mission is to use the power of LGBT travel to build bridges worldwide. Those bridges, in turn, enable understanding, awareness and commerce to flourish in diverse communities around the globe. For more information: www.igltafoundation.org; www.facebook.com/IGLTAFoundation.